QUICK VEGETABLE STIR-FRY WITH THAI PEANUT SAUCE
• 11/2 c. coconut milk
• 11/2 tsp. red curry paste, or more to taste
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
• 6 tbsp. all-natural peanut butter
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, optional
• 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
• 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-in. slices
• 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-in.- by 3-in. strips
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-in. coins
• 8 oz. broccoli, cut into florets
• 2 c. chopped green cabbage
• 7 to 8 oz. firm-baked tofu, cut into cubes
• Steamed rice
To make peanut sauce: In a blender, combine the coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce, sugar and peanut butter. Blend until smooth. Taste and add the salt, if desired. Taste and add more curry paste if you prefer your peanut sauce spicier.
To make stir-fry: Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the garlic and onion and stir-fry until garlic just begins to color, about 30 seconds. Add the bell pepper, carrot and broccoli and continue to stir-fry until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and tofu and cook, stirring only occasionally, until the cabbage is wilted, about 1 minute.
Add enough peanut sauce to coat the vegetables, toss and stir-fry for 1 minute to heat through. Serve with steamed rice.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 560 Fat 40 g Sodium 860 mg
Carbohydrates 38 g Saturated fat 18 g Calcium 175 mg
Protein 33 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 8 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 2 bread/starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 6 fat.