Spring Vegetable Sauté
Note: The season for fiddlehead ferns is brief. Find them at farmers markets and food co-ops, and occasionally at supermarkets. Top these vegetables with crumbled feta or fresh chèvre and serve over couscous or farro for a lively main dish. Feel free to vary the vegetables and the herbs to taste. From Beth Dooley.
• 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/4 c. chopped shallots
• 1/4 lb. new potatoes, thinly sliced
• 1/4 lb. carrots, thinly sliced
• 1/4 lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1/4 c. chicken stock or water
• 6 to 8 fiddlehead ferns, trimmed (see Note)
• 1/2 c. peas, fresh or frozen
• 1/4 c. lima beans or edamame, fresh or frozen
• 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the butter and oil together over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted and bubbly, toss in the shallots, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms and toss to coat.
Add the stock or water, cover the pan and cook the vegetables until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove the cover and toss in the fiddleheads, peas and lima beans and continue cooking until the peas, fiddleheads and limas are bright green and just tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in the lemon juice, parsley and mint, and season with the salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 135 Fat 7 g Sodium 40 mg
Carbohydrates 16 g Saturated fat 2 g Total sugars 4 g
Protein 5 g Cholesterol 10 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 fat.