Smoky Tri-Bean Sweet Potato Chili
Note: From Beth Dooley.
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 c. chopped onions
• 3 c. diced sweet potatoes
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, chopped
• 1/2 to 1 tbsp. chili powder, to taste
• 2 tsp. ground cumin, or more to taste
• 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
• 1 1/2 to 2 c. chicken or vegetable stock, as needed
• 1 c. each cooked or canned black, white and navy beans (3 c. total), drained and rinsed
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Chopped cilantro for garnish
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes, garlic, chipotle in adobo, chili powder and cumin, and cook, stirring until the spices smell fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and stock, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes, adding more stock if necessary. Stir in the beans and continue cooking until heated through, another 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the cilantro.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 230 Fat 3 g Sodium 430 mg
Carbohydrates 42 g Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 117 mg
Protein 10 g Cholesterol 1 mg Dietary fiber 12 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 3 bread/starch, ½ fat.