Roasted Spiced Butternut Squash and Kale Panzanella
Cubes of butternut squash are roasted with warm spices and tossed with wilted kale, toasted croutons and a vibrant vinaigrette for a change-of-pace winter salad that works as either a hearty side or a light main dish. From Meredith Deeds.
• 6 oz. stale bread, cut into 1-in. cubes (about 4 c.)
• 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 tsp. salt, divided
• 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 to 2 lb.), peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes (about 4 c.)
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
• 1 bunch kale, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
• 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
• 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp. honey
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
• 1/4 c. toasted pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss bread with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt to coat. Arrange on a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through, until lightly browned. Let cool.
In the same large bowl, combine the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon oil, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until tender and lightly browned. Transfer to a serving bowl.
In the same large bowl, combine the kale with 1 tablespoon oil. Toss thoroughly to coat with the oil. Transfer to a large baking sheet and bake for about 3 minutes, until just wilted but still bright green. Transfer to the serving bowl with the squash. Add the toasted bread cubes to the bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle over the squash, kale and bread and toss to coat. Garnish with the feta cheese and pumpkin seeds.