PENNE WITH ZUCCHINI AND FETA
Note: For variety, try yellow squash or asparagus and any other short pasta in this dish. Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
• 8 oz. uncooked penne or favorite pasta
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
• 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
• 3/4 c. fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
• 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• Black pepper to taste
• 2/3 c. (about 2 1/2 oz.) crumbled feta cheese flavored with basil and tomatoes, or favorite variety of feta
Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting salt or fat.
While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oregano, zucchini and crushed garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, rind, juice and pepper. Add the pasta and cheese; toss well. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 317 Fat 10 g Sodium 326 mg
Carbohydrates 44 g Saturated fat 5 g Calcium 161 mg
Protein 13 g Cholesterol 23 mg Dietary fiber 3 g