Penne With Roasted Mushrooms, Onions and Goat Cheese
Note: Mixing the goat cheese with a little of the hot pasta water makes an instant sauce for this easy and flavorful pasta. From Meredith Deeds.
• 10 oz. mushrooms (mixed variety), cleaned and cut in half, crosswise
• 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
• 3 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 12 oz. penne (tubular pasta)
• 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
• 1/4 c. grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
• 2 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley, plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, onions, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread out on a large rimmed baking in a single layer. Roast for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle the garlic over the vegetables and stir to combine. Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and browned.
Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. (Make sure to use the recommended amount of salt for the pasta, as the water will also season the final dish.)
In a large serving bowl, combine the hot pasta with the roasted mushrooms, goat cheese, Parmesan and parsley and 1/2 cup pasta water. Toss until creamy. If pasta seems dry, add a little more pasta water.
Garnish with more Parmesan and parsley, and serve.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 600 Fat 20 g Sodium 870 mg
Carbohydrates 80 g Saturated fat 7 g Total sugars 4 g
Protein 24 g Cholesterol 20 mg Dietary fiber 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 5 starch, 1 medium-fat protein, 2 fat.