Lentil Salad With Roasted Vegetables
Serves 10 to 12.
Note: From Melissa Clark of the New York Times.
• 1 small whole acorn squash, peeled if desired, halved, seeded and diced into 1/2-in. pieces
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-in. pieces
• 1 medium celeriac, peeled and diced into 1/2-in. pieces
• 3 small beets, peeled and diced into 1/2-in. pieces
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1 sprig fresh rosemary, cut in half
• 4 slices (4 oz.) bacon, cut into 1-in. pieces, optional
• 2 c. brown or green lentils
• 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, more to taste
• 1/2 tsp. black pepper
For the sherry vinaigrette:
• 1/4 c. sherry vinegar, more to taste
• 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
• 2 heads radicchio, sliced
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced (whites and greens)
• Parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
• Flaky sea salt, to taste
• Cracked black pepper, to taste
• 1 tangerine, halved and seeded
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place vegetables in single layer on 1 or 2 large rimmed baking pans, then toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place thyme and rosemary on top of vegetables, cover pans with foil and roast for 25 minutes. Remove foil, stir in bacon if using, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes longer, until vegetables are tender and golden all over.
In a large pot, combine lentils, 6 cups water, garlic, bay leaf, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil.
Drain lentils and discard bay leaf; keep or discard garlic as you like. Toss lentils with half of the sherry vinaigrette while still warm. Add more salt, olive oil and vinegar as needed.
To serve: Toss radicchio with enough of remaining vinaigrette to lightly coat it and arrange it on a platter. Combine lentils and roasted vegetables, adding more of the vinaigrette to taste; spoon mixture on top of radicchio. Garnish with green onions, parsley, sea salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze tangerine juice over the lentils and drizzle with more olive oil if needed.
Nutrition information per 1/12 serving:
Calories 260 Fat 12 g Sodium 520 mg
Carbohydrates 30 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 62 mg
Protein 10 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 8 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 bread/starch, ½ lean meat, 2 fat.