Note: Since a food processor (or blender) is used to purée the mixture, you need to only roughly chop a portion of the vegetables and dice the other portion for garnish.
• 2 lb. tomatoes, washed, seeded
• 1 red bell pepper, washed
• 1 green or yellow bell pepper, washed
• 3 cucumbers, washed, divided
• 1 large shallot, peeled
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
• 1 tbsp. hot red pepper sauce
• 13/4 c. low-sodium or no-salt-added tomato juice or vegetable juice
• 1 ear fresh corn, kernels removed
• Fresh basil, sliced in shreds
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tsp. sugar
• 4 to 6 green onions, washed, green and white parts thinly sliced, divided
Roughly chop about three-fourths of the tomatoes. Place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade or a blender. Dice the remaining tomatoes and set aside.
For the bell peppers, roughly chop half of each one and add to the food processor. Dice the remaining bell peppers and set aside.
Peel, seed and roughly chop 2 cucumbers and add to the food processor. Leave the peel on the remaining cucumber, slice in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and dice; set aside. Add the shallot, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and hot pepper sauce to the food processor. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
Transfer to a glass bowl (or leave in the blender jar). Stir in the tomato juice, corn, basil, remaining diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, sugar and half of the green onions. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
Chill for 2 hours. Serve in cups, bowls and garnished with a bit of the diced bell peppers, diced cucumbers and remaining green onion slices.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 104 Fat 4 g Sodium 88 mg
Carbohydrates 16 g Saturated fat 1 g Protein 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 3 g