Chicken, Vegetables and Stir-Fried Rice Noodles
Note: This recipe is inspired by the chow mein recipe in “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime,” by Ree Drummond. This recipe is ideal for additions; add 1/2 cup bean sprouts with the noodles or 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms or diced broccoli florets with the carrots.
• 2 tbsp. peanut oil, divided
• 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 c. julienne carrots
• 4 green onions, sliced, divided
• 1/2 large head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
• 8 oz. thin rice noodles, cooked per package directions
• 1/2 c. diced or shredded, cooked chicken
• 1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tsp. sesame oil
• Sriracha sauce or kimchi, optional
Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add carrots and half of the green onions. Stir and let vegetables cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in cabbage and remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil and cook for 2 to 4 minutes until cabbage wilts. Add noodles, chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil and remaining green onions. Toss to fully incorporate.
Serve hot with Sriracha or kimchi to season to your preferred level of spiciness.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 235 Fat 5 g Sodium 450 mg
Carbohydrates 39 g Saturated fat 1 g Total sugars 3 g
Protein 8 g Cholesterol 10 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 2 carb, ½ lean protein, 1 fat.