TOFTE, Minn. -- A preliminary investigation is focusing on a wood-burning fireplace and chimney as the possible cause of a weekend fire at a popular resort in northeast Minnesota.

Owner and general manager Dennis Rysdahl of Bluefin Bay resort says he provided a fire marshal with documentation showing the fireplace and flue were in good working order when last examined.

Rysdahl tells the Duluth News Tribune ( ) the resort had the fireplace and flue inspected a couple of months ago, "and they were given a clean bill of health."

Saturday's fire damaged five of the North Shore resort's 70 vacation rental units. No one was hurt.

Rysdahl says it's too early to say how much it will cost to make repairs. He says repairs could be completed within three months.