As season-opening weekends go, the recently completed first week of the high school football season raised few eyebrows. Defending champions won. Favorites showed why. Upsets and shockers were few.
But a few results jumped out. Irondale announced its arrival with a 35-0 rout of perennial power Spring Lake Park. Farmington showed its continued progress from a program that was winless in 2014 to a team to be reckoned with by winning at Woodbury. North Branch, which didn’t score in its first three games en route to a winless regular season in 2016, put up 50 points in a victory over Princeton. But at the top of our rankings, things were relatively sedate.
METRO TOP 10
1. Eden Prairie (1-0): Textbook Eagles in their 35-7 victory over Eastview. They got a big lead early and stymied their opponent until the game was out of reach. Next: vs. No. 2 Lakeville North, Friday, 7 p.m.
2. Lakeville North (1-0): The Panthers offensive line was as good as advertised, plowing the way to 355 yards rushing in a 62-0 drubbing of Burnsville. Next: at No. 1 Eden Prairie, Friday, 7 p.m.
3. Totino-Grace (1-0): This might be a bit high for a team as green as the Eagles, but the reigning 6A champs still know how to win, rallying past Cretin-Derham Hall 13-12. Next: at Centennial, Friday, 7 p.m.
4. Blaine (1-0): Connor Melton is poised for a huge year after passing for 400 yards and five touchdowns, three to Byron Bynum Jr., in a 53-28 victory over Stillwater. Next: vs. No. 9 St. Michael-Albertville, Friday, 7 p.m.
5. Maple Grove (1-0): The Crimson showed off a typical Matt Lombardi defense, stonewalling Osseo until the final minutes of their 28-7 victory. Next: vs. No. 8 Prior Lake, Friday, 7 p.m.
6. Edina (1-0): Hornets leaned on a ball-control offense that ran 72 offensive plays in defeating Lakeville South 34-9. Next: at Rosemount, Friday, 7 p.m.
7. Minnetonka (1-0): The Skippers defense was too much for Eagan in a 42-7 victory. This week, it’s the battle for the Bay Bell Trophy at Wayzata. Next: at Wayzata, Friday, 7 p.m.
8. Prior Lake (1-0): A pair of pick-sixes in the second quarter got the Lakers on track in defeating Shakopee 42-12. Next: at No. 5 Maple Grove, Friday, 7 p.m.
9. St. Michael-Albertville (1-0): The Knights welcomed the move up to Clas 6A by crushing Mounds View 45-21. Next: at No. 4 Blaine, Friday, 7 p.m.
10. Cretin-Derham Hall (0-1): The Raiders are breaking in a new quarterback to replace 2016 starter Jackson Crawford. Next: vs. Mounds View, Friday, at the University of St. Thomas, 7:30 p.m.
Others to watch: Champlin Park, Wayzata, Elk River (5A).