The 3-2 pitch
Three observations …
• Houston’s waiver claim of Cameron Maybin is paying immediate dividends. He had eight RBI in his first six games since joining the club.
• Arizona has dangerous bats in its lineup, but the reason for its recent 13-game winning streak is that D-backs pitchers are throwing as well as they have all season, posting a 1.91 ERA in that stretch
• Tim Beckham has sizzled since being traded to Baltimore, batting .359 in 35 games. That’s not good news for former Twins shortstop J.J. Hardy, who is a free agent after the season and was just activated by the Orioles after missing three months with a fractured wrist.
… and two predictions
• Baseball will soon limit how many players can be used in September games. The Dodgers are carrying 38 players from their 40-man roster right now, which is excessive.
• Just give the AL Cy Young Award to the Indians’ Corey Kluber right now.