Hassan Mead, a former eight-time All-America for the Gophers, won the 10,000-meter run Friday at the U.S. Track and Field Championships in Sacramento, Calif. His time was 29 minutes, 1.44 seconds.
His victory means he will run for the U.S. team at the IAAF World Championships from Aug. 5-13 in London.
U loses Georgia recruit
One day after landing a running back recruit from Florida, the Gophers lost one from Georgia when Nolan Edmonds announced Friday on Twitter that he is decommitting from Minnesota. Edmonds is a consensus three-star recruit from Alpharetta, Ga.
On Thursday night, the Gophers received a verbal commitment from Bryce Williams, a consensus three-star recruit from Sarasota, Fla.
Vikings hire strength coach
Four days after it was learned that Brent Salazar was leaving the Vikings to join the U.S. Tennis Association, the Vikings announced that Mark Uyeyama will replace him as head strength and conditioning coach.
Uyeyama spent the previous nine seasons with the 49ers, working his way up from assistant strength and conditioning coach to director of human performance in 2015 and 2016.
• Canterbury Park will host its annual Leg Up Fund Day on Sunday to benefit members of the track's jockey colony who have been injured or disabled. The day includes silent and live auctions, a jockey autograph session and a raffle, as well as a bouncy-ball race featuring current Canterbury jockeys. A portion of funds raised will go to Canterbury jockey Paul Nolan, seriously injured in April at an Oklahoma track.
• Frankie Capan of Phoenix and Lincoln Johnson of Chaska both shot 67s on Friday to tie for medalist honors in U.S. Junior Amateur sectional qualifying at Emerald Green Golf Club in Hastings. John Ebner of Edina was a stroke back but also advanced. Capan, a junior, is originally of North Oaks. … Sophia Yoemans of Red Wing shot a 71 to tie for third in U.S. Girls Junior Amateur sectional qualifying at Emerald Green and advance.
• –Gophers decathlete Luca Wieland and miler Derek Wiebke were named CoSIDA Academic All-Americas.
• Augsburg outfielder Jordan DeCroock was named to the American Baseball Coaches Association's Gold Glove team in NCAA Division III.
• Anthony Gallas, Tony Thomas and Brady Shoemaker each hit homers as the St. Paul Saints routed the visiting Winnipeg Goldeyes 13-7. Gallas and Jon Kristoffersen had three RBI apiece.