A three-alarm fire Sunday that struck an 1880s-era apartment building in downtown Minneapolis was caused by a faulty electrical outlet in a unit, officials said Friday.

No one was injured in the fire, which broke out in the three-story brick building at 215 S. 9th St. shortly before 2 p.m.

The blaze, which sent smoke billowing hundreds of feet into the sky, continued for about two hours before firefighters managed to get it under control.

One fatality was reported: A 12-year-old cat died in the fire despite attempts to save it.

The building is one of the last surviving historical apartment buildings near downtown’s central business district.