Metro football Top 10
What was Friday's biggest victory? Was it Eden Prairie reasserting itself in winning at Edina? Osseo getting its first victory under Ryan Stockhaus? Champlin Park shutting out Centennial? All good, but the nod here goes to Forest Lake. The Rangers ended a 41-game losing streak that dated to Sept. 30, 2011, by beating White Bear Lake 20-14 on a game-winning 28-yard pass from Mitch Jerde to Charlie Payne late in the third quarter. Not enough to crack this list, but a team has to start somewhere, right? Here's a look at the Metro Top 10 heading into Week 3:
1. Totino-Grace (2-0): Ivan Burlak returned the opening kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown and the Eagles never let Anoka get a whiff of success in a 41-0 rout.
2. Lakeville North (2-0): Wade Sullivan, six rushing touchdowns, all in the first half, in a 42-7 romp over Eagan. Individual performance of the year so far.
3. Maple Grove (2-0): Some questioned the choice of Brad Davison as preseason Dream Team QB. In two games, he has 668 yards of total offense (385 passing, 283 rushing). You were saying?
4. Rosemount (2-0): You don't get style points in football. The Irish rallied in the second half to beat improved Apple Valley 28-17. It's all about the W's.
5. Eden Prairie (1-1): Lightning-quick junior RB Solo Falaniko did a terrific J.D. Spielman impersonation, rushing for 135 yards and two touchdowns in a 21-9 victory over Edina.
6. Cretin-Derham Hall (2-0): The Vikings aren't the only team in purple that can play some defense. Cretin-Derham Hall has given up just 376 total yards in two games.
7. Stillwater (2-0): Speaking of defense, the Ponies have given up just one touchdown. They host Cretin-Derham Hall on Friday in a big-boy game.
8. Minnetonka (2-0): The Skippers came through when they had to, getting a Garrett Olson 2-yard run for a TD with 27 seconds left to win at Prior Lake 15-10.
9. East Ridge (1-1): A two-touchdown victory on the road at Mounds View, a difficult place to win, is an impressive bounce-back for the Raptors.
10. Edina (1-1): Though outplayed by Eden Prairie for much of the game, Edina was still within striking distance in the fourth quarter. Cleaning up mistakes — dropped passes, missed blocks — will be crucial.
Others worth watching: Blaine, Burnsville, St. Michael-Albertville (5A), Centennial, Chanhassen (5A), Hopkins.