Metro Football Top 10
There hasn't been any change at the top; Eden Prairie is still the gold standard. But because of the nature of the subdistrict schedules, there have been more juicy matchups in Class 6A this year than we've seen in past years. As a result, only two teams are undefeated while teams with more than one loss can still be considered legitimate state title contenders. Last week, Maple Grove showed it's the best two-loss team in the state with a rout of Prior Lake on the road. Totino-Grace has two losses also, but we know never to count the Eagles out. And such teams as Cretin-Derham Hall, Mounds View, Osseo and Prior Lake are sitting outside of the metro top 10, but it would surprise no one if any one of those teams made a deep postseason run.
1. Eden Prairie (7-0): It might not get any better than Friday, when the Eagles host Wayzata. This is still one of the best rivalries in the state.
2. Lakeville North (7-0): Unless it's Friday at Rosemount, where Lakeville North will need to defeat an irritated Irish group in its quest for an undefeated regular season.
3. Maple Grove (5-2): No running back in the metro accelerates through a crease better than Isaac Collins. Five touchdowns and 170 yards rushing against Prior Lake is proof.
4. Burnsville (6-1): The Blaze got the signature victory it had been hoping for, rallying past Rosemount 20-17 on a last-minute TD pass from Kamal Martin to Cory Kallstrom.
5. Wayzata (6-1): The Trojans pulled out a character victory, coming from behind twice to beat Edina on Foster Conzet's 2-yard run with 1:55 left in the fourth quarter.
6. East Ridge (6-1): It's been the Dominik London Show for the past three weeks. His 255 yards Friday against Roseville gave him his third straight 200-yard rushing game.
7. Rosemount (6-1): The Irish have struggled with turnovers this season. They committed four more in a tough loss at Burnsville.
8. Woodbury (6-1): QB Brady Mundahl had 257 total yards — 166 passing, 91 rushing — as the Royals beat Mounds View for the first time since 2008.
9. Totino-Grace (5-2): The Eagles' loss to Centennial is not quite the upset that it first appears. Cougars QB Kyle Nordby has been lights-out, completing 68 percent of his passes in back-to-back victories over Osseo and Totino-Grace.
10. St. Michael-Albertville (6-1): The Knights ended Buffalo's upset hopes with a 34-point third quarter in a 48-10 victory. Next up: at undefeated Monticello (7-0) Thursday.