NEW YORK — Despite encouraging box office figures for the season's first half, the financially strapped Metropolitan Opera scaled back its 2026-27 schedule with its fewest productions in at least 60 years.
The Met announced Thursday it will present 17 productions, its lowest total in a non-truncated season since the company moved to Lincoln Center in 1966. There are just five new stagings, and revivals of three popular operas account for 71 of the 187 individual opera performances (38%): Puccini's ''Tosca'' and ''La Bohème,'' and Verdi's ''Aida.''
''It makes more sense for us, and this is an experiment — to present these works in extended runs,'' Met general manager Peter Gelb said. ''And by double-casting them, it also is more economic in terms of how many different shows are playing in one week.''
Ticket sales of 72% this season are up from 70% in the first half of 2024-25.
''Basically, it's back to pre-pandemic levels,'' Gelb said. ''We're not grossing as much money because the average price per ticket is slightly less than it was, because we have a younger audience and more discounted tickets.''
Mason Bates' ''The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay,'' which opened the current season in its world premiere, sold 84% of tickets in a success rate that prompted the Met to schedule an extra four performances this month.
''One of my goals at the Met is to stimulate new audiences with new works,'' Gelb said. ''This one was one of the most successful we've presented so far.''
''Kavalier'' was followed by an English-language holiday time staging of Mozart's ''The Magic Flute'' (83%), Bellini's ''I Puritani" (82%), Puccini's ''Turandot'' (77%), Puccini's ''Madama Butterfly'' (74%), ''The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess'' (73%), and Donizetti's ''La Fille du Régiment,'' Bizet's ''Carmen,'' Bellini's ''La Sonnambula'' and ''Bohème'' (68% each).