• Born and raised in Forest Lake and graduated from high school there in 1978.
• Spent four years in the Air Force, stationed at a base in Grand Forks, N.D.
• In 1982 he was hired at Oak Park Heights prison where he worked until 1987. Meanwhile, he became a part-time auxiliary officer at Hudson Police Department in 1985, and was hired as a full-time patrol officer there in March 1987. He was promoted to patrol sergeant in 1996 and to chief on March 15.
• Married to Ann and has three children: Ted, 19; Miles, 11, and Rebecca, 9.
• When not in uniform: "I'm a bass fisherman. I love to pheasant hunt. The fall is my favorite time. I love to get out, either on the lake or out in the field with my hunting dog. Spending time with my kids. I spend a lot of time with my church, Shepherd of the Valley over in Afton. My wife and I became members there a year and a half ago. We love spending time over there."