Johnnies vs. Tommies, part II
No. 4 St. Thomas (11-0) and No. 10 St. John’s (10-1) will meet in the NCAA playoffs for the first time Saturday in a second-round game at O’Shaughnessy Stadium in St. Paul. Some facts about the teams and the series:
• The Tommies and Johnnies have played every year since 1952. St. John’s leads the series 51-32-1, with a 26-19 record in St. Paul and 18 victories in the past 23 meetings.
• Each team has faced a MIAC rival in the playoffs only once before. St. John’s beat Gustavus in the first round in 1987, and St. Thomas lost to Bethel in the 2010 quarterfinals.
• Johnnies coach Gary Fasching is 13-2 in road games over his two seasons and has an eight-game road winning streak against MIAC opponents.
• Tommies coach Glenn Caruso is 49-4 at home over eight seasons — including a current 10-game win streak — and his teams are 11-1 in postseason play at O’Shaughnessy Stadium.
• The Johnnies are making their 22nd appearance in the Division III playoffs and are 36-19, with a 5-6 record in their past 11 postseason games. The Tommies are 13-6 in seven NCAA playoff appearances.
• Each of the past four games in the series — and five of the past six — has been won by the visiting team.