Souhan’s players to watch at Augusta
1. Dustin Johnson: He’s No. 1 in the world and has won three times this year, but his injured back could hamper him.
2. Jordan Spieth: He isn’t putting well at the moment but has come close to winning three consecutive Masters and has been able to joke about his 2016 collapse.
3. Rory McIlroy: His high, powerful ball flight should be ideal for Augusta National and he has finished in the top 10 in the past three Masters.
4. Hideki Matsuyama: Has finished in the top 10 in his past two Masters and is an exceptional putter.
5. Zach Johnson: The Iowan is celebrating the 10th anniversary of his Masters victory. If wind and weather turn the par-5s into three-shot holes and the tournament into an exercise in mental toughness and putting, Johnson could win another green jacket.
6. Bubba Watson: Has won two of the past five Masters. Isn’t playing well but that might not matter on his favorite course.
7. Rickie Fowler: Finished 12th and fifth in past three Masters, is currently One of the Better Players Never to Win a Major.
8. Justin Rose: Has finished 14th or better in past three Masters and might be most promising Euro in the field.
9. Thomas Pieters: The Ryder Cup phenom from Belgium has lots of game, as Hazeltine watchers can attest.
10. Phil Mickelson: He’s 46 and a long shot — like Jack in ’86.