PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Hundreds of protesters – many dressed in school uniforms – marched through the streets of Haiti's capital Thursday to demand answers after the kidnapping and killing of a young woman that has incensed the nation.
High school senior Evelyne Sincère was found in a trash heap Sunday after relatives said they were unable to pay the large ransom demanded by her captors. Human rights groups contend the incident highlights the nation's worsening security crisis.
"I am worried," said Katy Jean-Joseph, 19, who marched while carrying a photo of Sincère. "What happened to Evelyne could have happened to me."
Haiti has been rocked by street protests demanding President Jovenel Moise's ouster on allegations that he mismanaged the economy and failed to hold accountable those who siphoned billions in international aid into bank accounts overseas. Now the Caribbean nation is also grappling with growing concern over Moise's decision to delay legislative elections and instead insist first on a constitutional referendum.
International leaders including the Trump administration and the Organization of American States are pressuring Moise to set a date for a vote.
Meanwhile, the United Nations and rights groups in Haiti are warning about a rising tide of violence by armed gangs whose crimes are largely going unpunished in a country that has struggled to buoy its weak national police force.
The U.N. envoy for Haiti painted a grim picture to the U.N. Security Council last month, saying that the nation is "once again struggling to avert the precipice of instability." Helen La Lime added that the Haitian National Police would need at least 10,000 well trained and equipped officers to meet international standards.
"Gangs continue to challenge the authority of the state, especially in the more populous neighborhoods of Port-au-Prince," she said.