Constitutional changes sought by President Hugo Chavez were defeated 51 to 49 percent.
About 56 percent of the electorate voted.
SOME KEY AMENDMENTS
• Lengthening presidential terms from six to seven years. Allowing president to run for reelection indefinitely.
• Allowing the president to declare an extended state of emergency .
• Allowing the president to hand-pick local leaders.
• Prohibiting large land estates.
• Reducing the official workday from eight to six hours.
• Granting the president control over the Central Bank, which previously had autonomy.
Lawmaker Ismael Garcia, referring to the hourslong delay before the vote was announced: "There will be time for celebrations."