Advertisement

Hastings finance chief used same log-in for personal, city accounts, according to complaint

October 1, 2015 at 3:29AM
Advertisement

Charlene Stark, the Hastings finance director who resigned last week, had simultaneously accessed her personal bank account and the city's account at Wells Fargo, according to a complaint sent to City Administrator Melanie Mesko Lee.

The complaint, obtained by the Star Tribune, alleged that Stark's personal information was linked to the city's Wells Fargo account and that Stark accessed both accounts using the same login information. But the complainant, whose name was redacted by the city, wrote, "I have not seen any specific transactions which have caused me concern."

The complainant also notes that such an arrangement could expose city bank account information to "unauthorized individuals" if the city employee shared personal login information with others.

Stark could not be reached for comment.

Mesko Lee received the complaint in July and placed Stark on paid administrative leave while city officials conducted an investigation. The City Council approved her resignation Sept. 21.

Mesko Lee said Stark did not mishandle city funds or transfer them to her personal account. However, there have been "numerous changes" to the city's policies and procedures since the complaint against Stark was filed. Mesko Lee did not elaborate.

Stark worked for the city of Hastings for 15 years and had been finance director since 2005. Mesko Lee said no final disciplinary action was taken against Stark because she resigned.

Erin Adler • 952-746-3283

Advertisement
about the writer

about the writer

Erin Adler

Reporter

Erin Adler is a suburban reporter covering Dakota and Scott counties for the Minnesota Star Tribune, working breaking news shifts on Sundays. She previously spent three years covering K-12 education in the south metro and five months covering Carver County.

See Moreicon
Advertisement