Advertisement

Former Hastings man killed in combat

The ex-Minnesota Army National Guard member and former Marine was in Afghanistan with the Illinois Guard.

July 9, 2009 at 9:31PM
Photo courtesy of the Illinois National Guard Public Affairs Office Spc. Chester Hosford
Photo courtesy of the Illinois National Guard Public Affairs Office Spc. Chester Hosford (Star Tribune/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

A 35-year-old former Minnesota Army National Guardsman was identified Wednesday as one of four U.S. soldiers killed in Konduz, Afghanistan, when a roadside bomb detonated near their vehicle.

He was one of seven U.S. soldiers to die in Afghanistan Monday, one of the deadliest days yet for Americans in that conflict.

Army Specialist Chester W. Hosford had lived for some time in Hastings, family members said Wednesday.

Hosford, who went by Wayne, joined the Minnesota Army National Guard as a cavalry scout in June 2006 and transferred to the Illinois Army Guard in April 2008, according to a statement from Illinois Guard officials. At the time of his death, he was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 106th Cavalry Regiment, Dixon, Ill.

News about his death hasn't yet "sunk in," said his grandmother, Eloise Simmons of Colorado Springs, Colo. "I'll have to deal with it when it finally does sink in."

Simmons raised Hosford after his mother was killed in 1988. Wayne Hosford was 14 and had difficulty getting over her death, Simmons said, adding, "For a time, he was angry at the world for it."

"He was the type of person who'd give the shirt off his back if he thought that the other person needed it worse than him.," Simmons said.

Hosford graduated from high school in Peyton, Colo., in 1993 and enlisted in the Marines, the Illinois Guard said.

Advertisement

Hosford later moved to Hastings, where his sister lived. He later joined the National Guard.

He seemed satisfied and wanted to stay in as long as he could, Simmons said.

Simmons said she worried about her grandson being in Afghanistan. "I had him on the church list many times for prayers," she said.

Hosford, who was not married, was on his first deployment and had been recently living in Ottawa, Ill., the statement said.

Simmons said her grandson is survived by a son and a daughter, two brothers and a a sister.

Hosford and another Illinois Guardsman who died in the blast, 1st Lt. Derwin Williams, went to Afghanistan in August 2008 as part of the 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team. They were working to train and mentor Afghan national police.

Advertisement

Also killed by the roadside bomb were Sgt. Brock Chavers, 25, of Bulloch, Ga., and Specialist Issac Johnson, 24, of Columbus, Ga. Their bodies were among seven flown to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Wednesday.

mlsmith@startribune.com • 612-673-4788 vtuss@startribune.com • 612-673-7692

about the writer

about the writer

Mary Lynn Smith

Reporter

Mary Lynn Smith is a general assignment reporter for the Star Tribune. She previously covered St. Paul City Hall and Ramsey County. Before that, she worked in Duluth where she covered local and state government and business. She frequently has written about the outdoors.

See Moreicon
Advertisement