Five people have been charged with felony riot in connection with a protest against police brutality on New Year's Eve at Commons Park near U.S. Bank Stadium in downtown Minneapolis.
Authorities arrested about 35 people on the night of the gathering, which drew about 75 people and had the "explicit intention of causing damage," according to a news release Monday from the Hennepin County Attorney's Office.
Those charged were Jordan Abhold, 26, and Nelson Mendez, 31, both of Minneapolis; Thomas Moseley, 29, of Blaine; Marc Holley, 32, of St. Louis Park, and Laura Galaviz, 29, of St. Cloud, according to the release. The five were each charged with second-degree riot on suspicion of being armed with a dangerous weapon.
According to the release, Abhold had a .38 Special revolver, which he had a permit to carry, and tools to reload the gun faster. He also had a device that appeared to be scanning police radio communications.
Moseley, allegedly carrying a knife, previously had been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon in a courthouse and felony damage to property at the Minneapolis Fifth Precinct station, the release said.
Holley had a knife, a gas mask, zip ties, body armor and a two-way radio, the release said. Galaviz reportedly had two knives, and Mendez had fireworks, a Taser, a green laser and a gas mask in a backpack.
Police learned of the gathering from social media postings calling for people to wear black and masks, and to "BURN THE PRECINCTS & THE PRISONS!" according to the release.
Authorities said people walked to Commons Park chanting anti-police slogans and disrupting traffic and light-rail trains.
Police said they also saw the group shoot fireworks at motorists and deface the walls of county buildings with graffiti, according to the release.
All five are in custody, according to jail records, and are expected to make their first court appearances on Tuesday.