When it comes to introducing camping to young children, start slowly and simply. Try a backyard overnighter or pick a place within 60 miles of home. Families can find many campgrounds within an hour’s drive of the Twin Cities, making it easy enjoy life outdoors without straying too far from conveniences or emergency supplies. Here are some good starter campgrounds:
• Ham Lake Campground, Ham Lake
• Frontenac State Park, Frontenac
• Baker Park Reserve, Maple Plain
• Bunker Hills Regional Park, Coon Rapids
• Willow River State Park, Hudson, Wis.
• Sakatah Lake State Park, Faribault.
• Lebanon Hills Regional Park, Eagan
• Lake Maria State Park, Monticello
• Wisconsin Interstate State Park, near Taylors Falls
• William O’Brien State Park, Marine on St. Croix
Lisa Meyers McClintick