Davon O’Keith Wiley was a member of the U.S. Army Reserve and a father of two who held three jobs to make ends meet. He was always working, family members said, so it’s inexplicable as to why he was outside the Eagan warehouse where he was fatally shot early Monday.

It’s one of the questions Eagan police are trying to answer, too, as they continue to investigate the deadly shooting that occurred just after midnight in a parking lot in the 900 block of Aldrin Drive.

On Friday, police identified Young Matthew Vang as the security guard who killed Wiley.

Both men worked for Mill City Protective Agency, but Wiley was not on duty at the time of the shooting.

The agency was hired by Operation Christmas Child to provide security at the facility, which is being used by Samaritan’s Purse International Relief to process boxes packed with gifts for needy children overseas.

According to police, Vang was on duty as a security officer overnight Monday when Wiley approached and assaulted him during an attempted robbery. Wiley, who was not working at the time, was wearing a mask and was armed, police said. Vang then fired multiple shots, killing Wiley.

Few other details have been released.

It was not immediately clear if Wiley and Vang knew each other or if charges would result, but the security company has retained the services of an Anoka law firm.

“This is a tough situation for the company,” said Bill Erhart, an attorney for Erhart & Elfelt Legal Services. “The company is saddened and heart-struck. They will cooperate with investigation.”

Wiley, 25, of Minneapolis, had been with the Army Reserve since 2012 and most recently with the 367th Engineer Battalion in St. Cloud. He had served at Fort Jackson in South Carolina, Fort Lee in Virginia and risen to the rank of logistical specialist, according to his service records.

He also earned a National Defense Service Medal, an Army Service ribbon and an Army Achievement medal, records show.

When not serving in the army, Wiley worked multiple jobs, including personal care attendant and cut hair on the side. He dreamed of opening a barbershop, said his sister Orlean Jones.

“He always had a smile on his face,” she said Friday. “He was a great father, brother and friend. He was always working. This is crazy.”

Police have said that a preliminary investigation indicates Vang acted in self-defense.

Asked if her brother knew Vang, Jones said that if he did, “He didn’t tell us.”

Wiley had no criminal history in Minnesota, aside from minor traffic violations.

“He was a lovable, hardworking guy, so when police told us he was involved in a robbery, that didn’t make sense,” Jones said. “Something does not sound right.”

Volunteers continue to come to the building to pack boxes of gifts this week. To ease their fears and those of Operation Christmas Child staff, police have beefed up patrols in the area. Operation Christmas Child has also take precautions.

“In light of this week’s incident with a contracted security company, we have already enhanced our security measures,” said Operation Christmas Child spokeswoman Christine Cape in a statement.