Advertisement

'Disappointed' Manny contacts Rays' Maddon

April 12, 2011 at 4:13AM
Advertisement

Manny Ramirez has spoken to Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon since retiring while facing a 100-game drug ban, but the slugger stopped short of apologizing for his abrupt departure.

"He was disappointed in himself, but he was also very kind to the organization," Maddon said Monday.

"He just said he was disappointed. He didn't apologize. I wasn't looking for an apology necessarily. I wasn't. He spoke to me kind of like, man-to-man, person-to-person, manager-to-player. So I didn't think he owed me an apology."

Others might disagree, given the way Ramirez's sudden departure destroyed the Rays' plans and left a major hole in their lineup, but Maddon said it wasn't his place to ask. Ramirez did not call executive VP Andrew Friedman or any other front office officials.

Maddon did not say when the conversation took place. Ramirez walked away Friday after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

As for Ramirez's drug involvement, "you'd have to take that up with him," Maddon said.

No Bonds verdictWith lawyers sometimes nervously wandering the halls, peering at their phones for a hint of progress, the federal jury in the Barry Bonds perjury trial finished another day of deliberating without reaching a verdict. The eight-woman, four-man jury will return to federal court in San Francisco on Tuesday morning to begin their third day of deliberations.

The jurors have been methodical, asking to review two crucial pieces of evidence and clearly sorting through the legal wrinkles in the case before deciding the home run king's fate.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Monday, the jurors had testimony read back from one of the prosecution's chief witnesses, Kathy Hoskins, Bonds' former personal shopper. She testified she saw Greg Anderson, Bonds' former personal trainer, inject Bonds in the stomach, the only firsthand account of such an encounter.

A's, Cahill agree to five-year extensionThe Oakland Athletics realized the need to keep their young rotation intact, and getting Trevor Cahill for the long haul was a big key.

The A's and their All-Star righty reached agreement on a new five-year contract worth $30.5 million, which takes him through all three of his arbitration-eligible seasons and first potential year of free agency.

Cahill, 23, won 18 games last year with a 2.97 ERA in his second season in the majors.

Etc.• Fans at Dodger Stadium dropped off cash, checks and good wishes for the family of the Giants fan who was brutally beaten after the first game of the season. Police are still looking for the men who attacked 42-year-old Bryan Stow, who suffered brain trauma.

• From young phenom to ripened reliever, Jason Isringhausen has come full circle with the New York Mets. The Mets brought back the 38-year-old, who hasn't pitched in the big leagues since June 2009.

Advertisement

• Toronto placed outfielder Rajai Davis on the 15-day disabled list after he aggravated an ankle injury.

about the writer

about the writer

NEWS SERVICES

More from Twins

See More
card image
Anthony Souffle/The Minnesota Star Tribune

Pablo López will have Tommy John surgery on Wednesday. And some observations from the Grapefruit League.

card image
card image
Advertisement