• NEW JERSEY 4, TORONTO 3: Dean McAmmond, Travis Zajac and Jay Pandolfo scored in the final 3:04 as the Devils rallied to beat the Maple Leafs on Friday night in Newark, N.J. Ilya Kovalchuk, skating in his first game for the Devils since being acquired from Atlanta in Thursday's five-player deal, finished with two assists.
• WASHINGTON 5, ATLANTA 2: Alex Ovechkin scored his NHL-leading 39th goal and had an assist for the host Capitals, who have won a team-record 13 games in a row. The last team to have a longer winning streak was the 1992-93 Penguins, who won an NHL-record 17 games in a row from March 9 to April 10, 1993.
• PHOENIX 2, CHICAGO 1 (SO): Robert Lang and Adrian Aucoin scored in the shootout, lifting the Coyotes over the Blackhawks at Chicago. Coyotes backup goalie Jason LaBarbera made 28 saves through overtime, then stopped two of three Blackhawks in the shootout.
• CAROLINA 4, BUFFALO 3: Jussi Jokinen scored on a slapshot from the top of the left circle with 3:17 to play, breaking a tie and lifting the Hurricanes past the host Sabres. Backup Manny Legace made 28 saves for the Hurricanes.
• CALGARY 2, FLORIDA 1: Ales Kotalik and Mark Giordano scored for the Flames, who held the Panthers to a season-low 13 shots on goal at Sunrise, Fla. Mikka Kiprusoff made 12 saves for Calgary; Tomas Vokoun stopped 38 shots for the Panthers.
• Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke's son, Brendan, 21, was fatally injured in a traffic accident in Indiana.
• Boston Red Sox minority owner Jeff Vinik agreed to buy the Tampa Bay Lightning.