Advertisement

Death of boy imprisoned for assault ruled suicide

January 1, 2009 at 1:52PM
Advertisement

The November death of a 17-year-old boy who pleaded guilty to assaulting a couple with a baseball bat at St. Paul's Lake Phalen last summer has been ruled a suicide.

Wang Moua Vue hanged himself, the Ramsey County medical examiner's office said Wednesday.

Vue's body was discovered Nov. 14 at the state correctional facility in St. Cloud, where he was sentenced to serve about 2 1/2 years.

Shortly after his death, Shari Burt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections, said that there had been no appearance of foul play, but she withheld additional details pending the medical examiner's ruling. Vue's father told the Star Tribune then that the family had been told that his son had hanged himself.

On Sept. 11, Vue pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree assault in the Aug. 4 attack on the couple. It occurred about the same time as a vigil was being held nearby for a woman who had been severely beaten in a baseball-bat attack at the lake three days earlier.

ANTHONY LONETREE

about the writer

about the writer

Advertisement