I do not often write about upcoming competitions because there are so many. But the Nelson Algren Short Story competition is such a good one--NO entry fee, cash award, sponsored by a great newspaper (the Chicago Tribune) and a storied history (past winners include Louise Erdrich and Stuart Dybek) that I am making an exception in this case.
The deadline is coming right up, so hurry!
Here are the details in a nutshell (click on link to get the full requirements):
1. Story length: 8,000 words.
2. Format: double-spaced, no identifying information on any pages.
3. Submission limit: two stories, not previously published.
4. Fee: None.
5. Prizes: $3,500 for winner, other amounts for four finalists and five runners-up.
6. How to submit: go through Submittable. https://algren.submittable.com/submit
7. Deadline: Jan. 31.
That's it! Good luck! I hope the winner is a Minnesotan so I can write about them when the time comes.