Cretin-Derham Hall announced Tuesday the hiring of Chuck Miesbauer as the schools' head football coach.
Miesbauer is a 2003 graduate of Cretin-Derham Hall. He played college football at Concordia (St. Paul) and then was a Raiders assistant coach in 2008 and 2009 — when they won a state title — before becoming an assistant coach at the University of Mary (Bismarck, N.D.) in 2011. He moved on to Presentation College in Aberdeen, S.D., as defensive coordinator in 2016 before becoming head football coach the next season, compiling a 9-11 record in two seasons.
Miesbauer replaces Brooks Bollinger, who resigned in February after three seasons as head coach.
Motzko award finalist
The Gophers' Bob Motzko was named one of the finalists for Big Ten Coach of the Year in men's hockey. In his first year at Minnesota, he led the team to third place in the conference and a spot in Big Ten semifinals. Junior Mat Robson of the Gophers was named a finalist for Big Ten Goaltender of the Year and forward Sammy Walker for Freshman of the Year.
• Longtime Rochester baseball coach Keith Kangas died Monday. He was 62. Kangas coached at Rochester Mayo and Rochester Century high schools and also coached the Rochester A's to the national American Legion title in 2003.
• The Gophers baseball team (3-11) ended a seven-game losing streak with a 3-2 nonconference victory over host Seattle University on Monday. Cole McDevitt's RBI-single in the ninth inning broke a 2-2 tie. McDevitt was 3-for-5 with two RBI.
• Sophomore Shane Wiskus was named the Big Ten and College Gymnastics Association's gymnast of the week. In a three-team meet at Ohio State over the weekend, Wiskus won the all-around with a career-high score of 84.350. He also set career highs in winning rings and high bar, both with 14.350 scores.
• Infielder Ronnie Sweeney of Iowa Western Community College will transfer to the Gophers next season. Sweeney, who played for Woodbury in high school, hit .375 with four homers and 34 RBI for the Reivers last season as a freshman. He will be a junior at Minnesota next season.
• Junior Paige Williams of the Gophers was named the Big Ten event specialist of the week. She won floor exercise with a career-high of 9.975 in a four-team meet in Birmingham, Ala.
• St. Thomas senior center Hannah Spaulding was selected the D3hoops.com West Region Player of the Year in women's basketball.
• The St. Olaf women's Nordic ski team placed second and the men's team fourth in the 7.5K classic race at the USCSA National Championships in Jackson Hole, Wyo. Rose Doda was third for the Oles' best individual finish. … The Oles women's Alpine ski team placed fourth in the giant slalom.