A little spice on a cold day
I love hearty, spicy chili, especially during the winter months. This one is quick to make with just basic ingredients and guaranteed to warm you up on a cold day.
JAMES MOORE, Oneforthetable.com
Hearty Vegetarian Three Bean Chili
Serves 4 to 6.
• 3 tbsp. chili powder
• 2 tsp. coriander
• 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp. cayenne
• 3 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
• 1 medium onion, minced
• 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped fine
• 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped fine
• 6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
• 1 tbsp. cumin seeds
• 2 c. water
• 1 (28-oz.) diced tomatoes (Muir Glen Fire-Roasted work well)
• 2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 tbsp. brown sugar
• 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 c. frozen corn kernels
• 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, to taste
• 1/4 c. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 tbsp. fresh juice from 1 lime
• Tortilla chips, for serving
Combine the chili powder, coriander, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cayenne in a small dish and reserve.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped peppers and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Push all the vegetables to one side of the pan and sprinkle the cumin seeds into pot. Stirring seeds constantly, toast seeds for 30 seconds, then stir the vegetables and seeds together and cook for 1 minute.
Add the reserved spices to the pot and stir to coat the vegetables, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add 2 cups water and stir well, scraping bottom of pan to remove any brown spots. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in tomatoes, oregano and brown sugar, and bring back to a simmer; cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
Add the drained beans and corn, and continue to simmer until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the salt, cilantro and lime juice. Serve with tortilla chips.