Metro Football Top 10
Outside of Eden Prairie, this was supposed to be the year that some new faces would show up and make a charge at the Class 6A title. That could still happen — the Prep Bowl is still two months off – but some very familiar names are at the top of the midseason rankings.
Three teams sat right on the cusp but didn’t make the cut this week: Blaine (3-1), which will get a huge test at Totino-Grace on Friday, and Cretin-Derham Hall and East Ridge, both of whom are 3-1 and play each other Friday at the University of St. Thomas.
1. Eden Prairie (4-0): The Eagles’ 34-game winning streak is the sixth-longest in state history. Stephen-Argyle’s 76 straight is still a long way off, however.
2. Lakeville North (4-0): Junior running back Wade Sullivan ran for 178 yards in a 49-14 victory over Farmington, his third straight game topping 100 yards.
3. Wayzata (4-0): The Trojans’ speed and quickness to the ball showed in a 28-10 win at Minnetonka. Skippers quarterback Garrett Olson completed 15 passes, but for only 90 yards.
4. Rosemount (4-0): You cannot lose if your opponent cannot score. The Irish pitched their second shutout in a row Friday, beating Lakeville South 21-0.
5. Totino-Grace (3-1): With no real feeder program, the Eagles need a couple of games each year to reach full potency. A 35-14 trampling of Osseo is evidence they’ve reached that level.
6. Burnsville (3-1): One mark of a good team is how well it bounces back from a loss. The Blaze beatApple Valley 35-0. I’d say they bounced back pretty well.
7. Osseo (3-1): Not having leading rusher Prince Kruah available was a big blow against Totino-Grace, but the Orioles also need to figure out how to contend with big, physical opponents.
8. Prior Lake (3-1): This one is baffling. The Lakers, seemingly unbeatable two weeks ago, needed a safety on a botched punt with 1:41 left to beat winless Shakopee 8-7.
9. Woodbury (4-0): I’m still uncertain about the Royals, who haven’t been dominant in any game. But they are undefeated halfway through the season and that earns them a spot here.
10. Maple Grove (2-2): I still think Maple Grove can make a long postseason run, but a team is what its record says it is, and right now, the Crimson are a .500 club.