A 60-year-old St. Paul man was found dead in his cabin in western Wisconsin, and authorities suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.

The body of Gene Prekker was discovered late Tuesday morning by his sister in the cabin in Cameron, according to the Barron County Sheriff's Office.

He appeared to have been asphyxiated by carbon monoxide, the Sheriff's Office said.

Near the body, deputies found what appeared to be a small explosive in a pipe. A bomb squad from nearby Marathon County removed the device and detonated it outside, the Sheriff's Office said.

An official determination of what killed Prekker "won't be known for some time," said Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald.