Bret Hedican, who helped launch Division I hockey at St. Cloud State before going on to a long professional career, is one of eight people who will be inducted in the St. Cloud State Athletic Hall of Fame this fall.
Hedican had 27 goals and 50 assists in three seasons with the Huskies from 1988 to 1991. The North St. Paul native went on to play 17 NHL seasons and was a two-time Olympian.
Five other former Huskies athletes will be inducted: Scott Ergen (cross-country/track and field), Chris Fleischer (soccer), Sandra Fuchs-Notsch (track and field), Keith Heckendorf (football) and Karissa Hoehn-Junker (softball). Also being inducted are Noel Martin, who earned a school-record 91 victories in 16 seasons as football coach from 1983 to '98, and Bill Radovich, an administrator from 1973 to '93.
Abojei to Wyoming
Eric Abojei, an offensive tackle from Cooper who planned to sign with the Gophers in February before hitting an academic snag, announced he is heading to Wyoming.
The 6-5, 310-pound Abojei is a consensus three-star recruit who was ranked as the No. 2 player in Minnesota for the Class of 2017 behind Blaise Andries, a Marshall offensive lineman now with the Gophers.
• The Winnipeg Blue Bombers picked former Gophers receiver Drew Wolitarsky in Tuesday's CFL supplemental draft. He had 66 catches for 860 yards and five touchdowns last year as a Gophers senior.
• The late Don Meyer will be one of 11 inductees into the Small College Basketball Hall of Fame on Nov. 2. Meyer began his coaching career with three years at Hamline before coaching 25 years at Lipscomb and 11 at Northern State, retiring in 2010 with an NCAA-record 923 victories.
• The Wild signed center Pat Cannone to a two-way contract, good for $650,000 in the NHL or $225,000 in the AHL. Cannone, 30, played in three games for the Wild last season and had nine goals in 73 games with Iowa.
• Hill-Murray product Mark Strobel was named associate head coach for the Wisconsin men's hockey team. Strobel served as Badgers captain for two seasons from 1993 to '95.
• Assistant coach Ryan Saunders will coach the Timberwolves' Vegas Summer League team again, coach Tom Thibodeau said.
• Burnsville pitcher Sam Carlson was named the Play Ball! Minnesota Mr. Baseball Award winner and Anoka pitcher Amber Elliott won the Ms. Softball Award.