An Austin man was found dead in his fish house on Clear Lake in Waseca Thursday afternoon, the Waseca County Sheriff’s Office said.

William Blom, 41, died of accidental carbon monoxide poising, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office. His father discovered his body shortly after noon Thursday.

Waseca County Chief Deputy Trevor Kanewischer said the furnaces that heat ice houses release carbon monoxide as an exhaust, and if too much gets into a person’s bloodstream, it becomes fatal.


Anne Millerbernd is a University of Minnesota student on assignment with the Star Tribune.