On the surface, boundary-pushing performance artist Jaime Carrera and figurative painter Caitlin Karolczak seem like an odd pairing. But taking into account the artists' penchants for Catholic symbolism and unsettling imagery, a collaboration makes sense. "Ritual," their two-part, five-hour performance on Friday and Saturday, will take place on a set with two identical antique beds, taking inspiration from ritualistic behavior.
- 8-10 p.m. Fri. 5/18 & 1-4 p.m. Sat. 5/19
- Grain Belt Bottling House
'FUTURE PRESENCE 5'
Over the past year and a half, artist-run cooperative gallery Future Presence has shown some of the most on-the-cusp, innovative art in town. With "Future Presence 5," the gallery will add national and international talent, as well as acclaimed local names (Michael Gaughan, Nick Howard). The gallery will also host two nights of music, showcasing faux-Beatles recording "Everyday Chemistry" with live accompaniment from Me and My Arrow on Friday and an experimental showcase from Father You See Queen, Seated Heat and France with a DJ set by Solid Gold on Saturday.
- 6 p.m.-midnight Fri. 5.17, 1 p.m.-midnight Sat. 5/19, Noon-5 p.m. Sun. 5/20
- Future Presence Gallery
SCOTT SEEKINS IS 'UBIQUITOUS'
Minneapolis artist Scott Seekins is best known for his omnipresence -- in his own work, and in his frequent sightings around town. For Art-A-Whirl, Seekins is taking a self-referential nod with "Ubiquitous," what he describes as a "walking art gallery." He'll travel around the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District with his book of art prints, and his paintings and prints will appear in a few galleries, such as Tarnish&Gold, Jeffery Gauss' studio (California Building), Movables Gallery and Smart Set Printing.
- Fri.-Sun. 5/18-20
'GALACTIC GARDEN PARTY'
It's been a while since we've seen new work from Rudy Fig, the painter who first won hearts at age 19 with her whimsical, confectionery portraits of budding girls dripping in ice cream. At the still impossibly young age of 23, Fig has changed her inspiration slightly, with the ice cream imagery replaced by visions of tea parties, nebulae and magical forests -- though the dreamy and slightly creepy feel of her previous work remains.
- Free opening reception 7 p.m.-midnight Fri. 5/18. Runs through June 16.
- Rogue Buddha Gallery
CO Exhibitions is hosting an art market with one-of-a-kind works, handmade jewelry, screen-printed posters and more by artists including Michael Cina. Other festivities include carnival games, live DJ sets and a late-night closing party for Isaac Arvold's "Second Hand Emotion" show with a live performance by Seawhores.
- 5-8 p.m. Fri. 5/18. Noon-10:30 p.m. Sat. 5/19. Noon-5 p.m. Sun. 5/20
- CO Exhibitions
At its core, Art-A-Whirl is a giant gallery and studio crawl across the art spaces and warehouses of northeast Minneapolis. Key locations include:
- Architectural Antiques Building
- California Building
- Casket Arts Building
- Grain Belt Studios: Highlight: A silent auction fundraiser.
- Northrup King Building: Highlight: "David Michael Kennedy: On the Road & Portraits," ongoing at Icebox Gallery (#443).
- Thorp Building: Highlights: Live photo shoot, live music and dance, art exhibits, annual group show, giveaways, scavenger hunt, photo contest and Central Avenue sculpture unveiling.
- Q.arma Building: Highlight: "Formed by Nature," ongoing at Altered Esthetics Gallery (#4).
- Van Buren Building: Highlight: "4real," ongoing at Rosalux Gallery.
- Party whirl! The loudest art of all takes over this year: live music