A suspicious fire on Sunday struck a St. Paul home where a man was shot to death a day earlier, authorities said.

St. Paul police on Sunday arrested a 43-year-old Red Wing man in connection to the homicide. He was booked into the Ramsey County jail for suspicion of murder. Another person was arrested on suspicion of aiding an offender.

The blaze at the residence in the 800 block of E. Lawson Avenue, which has drawn substantial police attention this year, was being investigated as a possible arson, Fire Department personnel at the scene said.

A 37-year-old man showed up at the home about 2:20 a.m. Sunday while intoxicated and "attempted to enter the crime scene that was protected by crime scene tape and monitored by officers," said police Sgt. Mike Ernster.

The man was told by police to leave, but he sat down on the driveway and defied the officers' orders, Ernster said. Police arrested him and booked him in jail on suspicion of obstructing the legal process, a misdemeanor.

Police left the scene about 9 a.m. only to return about two hours later with firefighters after "witnesses reported smoke and flames coming from the house," the sergeant said. The blaze was extinguished, and no injuries were reported.

On Saturday, officers called to the address about 4 p.m. found a man with a gunshot wound to the upper body. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene. The victim's identity has yet to be released.

The death marked St. Paul's 24th homicide of the year. No arrests have been announced.

Ernster said that the residence has been connected to 170 911 calls this year, including drug offenses, property crime and disorderly conduct.

Al Thompson, who lives nearby, said, "That house has been a nightmare to our neighborhood. We hear gunshots almost on a daily basis just from that address."

"This was going to be my kids' bus stop if they were not distance learning. I am so glad I do not have to worry about that address."

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 651-266-5650.