Lisa Grimes of Alexandria, Minn., won the PGA Women’s Stroke Play Championship by a shot over Sherry Andonian of Centennial, Colo., on Tuesday at the PGA Golf Club in Port St. Lucie, Fla.
The win earned Grimes, at 59 the second-oldest player in the field, a spot in this year’s KPMG Women’s PGA Championship June 25-28 at Aronimink Golf Club in Newton Square, Pa., a Tiffany bracelet and $2,100. Grimes estimated she has played in about 20 majors.
“At my age, any win is great,” said Grimes, the PGA director of instruction at Alexandria Golf Club. “I don’t care if it’s a one-day pro-am or something like this. It’s always nice to win. But I don’t think about age.”
It was Grimes’ second title in this event in the past three years. She closed with a 1-under 71 for a final total of 4-under 212.
Former Loon Ibarra joins Sounders
Miguel Ibarra, a longtime Loon, is joining the Seattle Sounders, the defending MLS Cup champion, after he started two friendlies in a trial while the team trained in Mexico. After last season, Minnesota United did not renew his contract.
• Tickets for the Minnesota Whitecaps’ Isobel Cup semifinal game at 12:30 p.m. March 8 at the Tria Rink will go on sale at 10 a.m. Wednesday at whitecaps.nwhl.zone/tickets. The second-seeded Whitecaps will host the league’s No. 3 seed, either the Metropolitan Riveters or the Buffalo Beauts. The Whitecaps, 13-5-2, are the defending NWHL champions.
• St. Cloud State named Sean Holmes its first men’s soccer coach. He held that job at Drake from 1998-2015.
• The Gophers women’s golf team closed with a 305 to finish 15th with a total of 906 in the Moon Golf Invitational in Melbourne, Fla.
• Gophers junior Lexy Ramler was named the Big Ten gymnast of the week. She set a season high of 39.625 to win the all-around in a dual meet against Nebraska on Sunday. Her score of 9.975 on bars tied a program record.
• Sophomore hockey forward Blake McLaughlin of the Gophers was named the Big Ten second star of the week after he had two goals and an assist vs. Notre Dame last weekend.