April 7, 2016: Blaming the flu, Prince cancels two concerts in Atlanta. Meanwhile, Dr. Michael T. Schulenberg, a Twin Cities family practitioner treating Prince to help him withdraw from his opioid addiction, sees him on this date.

April 14: Prince returns to Atlanta and performs two concerts.

April 15: On the flight home, Prince’s private plane makes an emergency landing in Moline, Ill., about 1:15 a.m. after Prince passes out. Kirk Johnson, a close friend and longtime associate, carries an unconscious Prince from the plane. Emergency responders administer Narcan, an opioid antidote, and take him to the hospital. He does not stay and returns to Minneapolis that morning. He admits taking painkillers, according to search warrants.

April 16: Prince invites guests to a dance party at Paisley Park and plays “Chopsticks” on his new purple piano.

April 19: Prince attends concert at the Dakota, the last time he is seen in public.

April 20: Schulenberg treats Prince again. That night, a Prince representative in California contacts Dr. Howard Kornfeld, a California addiction specialist, and asks him to intervene to get Prince off prescription painkillers. Kornfeld sends his son, Andrew, to Minnesota.

April 21: Shortly after arriving at Paisley Park about 9:30 a.m., Andrew Kornfeld and two Prince staffers find Prince’s body in an elevator. Kornfeld calls 911 at 9:43 a.m. Emergency responders arrive, pronounce him dead at 10:07 a.m. Schulenberg, there to deliver test results to Prince, tells an investigator that he had prescribed oxycodone to be filled at a pharmacy. He says he wrote the prescription in Johnson’s name to protect Prince’s privacy.

Several hours after Prince’s body is found, investigators obtain a search warrant and search Paisley Park, obtaining dozens of pills.

April 23: Prince is cremated and a private service is held at Paisley Park.

June 2: The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office says Prince died from an accidental, self-administered overdose of fentanyl.

August: Pills marked as hydrocodone that were seized from Paisley Park are found to contain fentanyl, indicating they are counterfeits. Investigators find no prescriptions for fentanyl in Prince’s name.

April 17, 2017: Carver County authorities unseal 11 search warrant affidavits related to the death investigation. Nothing is found to confirm the source of the fentanyl that killed him.

April 19, 2018: Carver County Attorney Mark Metz closes the two-year death investigation without filing criminal charges. Metz says county, state and federal investigators were unable to develop “credible evidence” documenting the source of the fentanyl that killed Prince, who likely believed he was taking a prescription painkiller. The pills Prince took were counterfeit Vicodin. The U.S. Attorney’s Office says it has no evidence of a federal crime. It does, however, announce a civil settlement with Schulenberg, who admitted to prescribing Percocet to Kirk Johnson knowing that it was in fact intended for Prince.