The Carver County Board has decided to hire not one but two inspectors to examine the controversial septic system at the county-owned Waconia ballroom to see if it is legal.
"That should leave no doubt in anyone's mind," said Commissioner Tom Workman, who will be among the board members who will select the duo to perform the inspections.
If the inspectors find the system is not in compliance, the county has estimated it could cost $200,000 or more to fix or replace it.
The unanimous board action Tuesday is an attempt to appease the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), which is investigating whether the septic system at the ballroom complies with state law and is at least 36 inches from the groundwater basin.
The MPCA ordered the inspection after Workman filed a complaint with the agency because he believed the ballroom's system is illegal.
Until Tuesday, the County Board had resisted Workman's efforts to have an independent inspection of the system. That changed once the MPCA order was received last week.
Board members, who have been dealing with the issue for more than a year, said the independent reviews will put the controversy to an end -- which, judging by their tone, they are eagerly anticipating.
"I don't want to spend more time on this," Commissioner Randy Maluchnik said during Tuesday's meeting. "I don't want this back in front of me."