Looking for ways to give your home a new look in the new year? Start with quick, easy refreshing techniques that won't break the bank. Whether you are looking to redo an entire room or elevate certain spaces, here are some great tricks of the trade to help get you started.
1. Paint. Nothing refreshes a space or can give it a new look quicker, more easily and less expensively than paint.
2. Reupholster or slipcover. No need to toss the sofa or chair that has started to look a bit worn around the edges. Instead, have it reupholstered, or add a slipcover.
3. Refinish. Love a great flea market find? Why not take an old piece and repurpose or refinish it?
4. Add a chandelier or ceiling pendant. In rooms that are heavily used or may not get much light, adding a ceiling fixture can help give an instant focal point and lift.
5. Swap out or add a new rug. Not sure what to choose? Consider a nontraditional alternative such as shag or even an indoor/outdoor rug with a bold graphic print.
6. Consider swapping in portable design options such as accessories, toss pillows and throws. These items can add new color and texture to a space to give a room an affordable face-lift.
7. Consider textured material such as faux fur and hides.
8. Bring in mirrors. Mirrors can help make small rooms larger and reflect light differently in a space.
9. Go homemade. What would be more special than making something yourself?
10. Shop your house. Instead of bringing anything new into your home, consider moving an item to a different room or framing an unused piece of art.