By Abby Simons

The woman charged with kidnapping the 8-month old son of a friend in February has been deemed mentally competent to stand trial.

Isabel Diaz-Castillo, 30, is scheduled for a Sept. 24 Jury trial in Hennepin County District Court for a single count of felony kidnapping.

She stands accused of taking baby Carlos Orozco from his south Minneapolis home Feb. 20 as his mother, Vicky Orozco, took a shower.
Diaz-Castillo was a suspect early on and Minneapolis police issued an Amber Alert seeking the public’s help in locating her and Carlos. Hours later, they received an anonymous tip directing officers to a home belonging to a relative of Castillo in the 3700 block of 3rd Avenue S. Officers found the baby in the basement unharmed. When officers spotted Castillo’s vehicle, she allegedly tried to run away, police said.
Investigators said Castillo had been paying “an inordinate amount of attention to the child” before the alleged abduction. Vicky Orozco’s relatives said Castillo often talked about how much Carlos reminded her of the baby she lost in a miscarriage.
Diaz-Castillo was charged two days after the incident. She waived her right to a speedy trial once she was deemed competent following a psychological evaluation. She remains in the Hennepin County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.