We have a Miguel Sano update that's more than him continuing treatment.

Sano on Wednesday took 60 swings, the first time he's done anything baseball related in a couple weeks. Is that a sure sign of progress? It remains to be seen. But the Sano hasn't done much more than treat the injury over the past couple of weeks,

"He's been doing rehab, but we limited the swings to get him to a point where the swelling in managed," Twins CBO Derek Falvey said. "Now we feel he is at a point where this is the best next step. In terms of offseason plan, we will revisit that when we get to that point. We're still trying to get him to a place where he can return at some point to full baseball activities so we can make a decision as to whether or not he can be a member of something moving forward."

So the Twins want to find out if Sano, who hasn't played since Aug. 19 because of a stress reaction in his left shin, can be available to them at any point in the postseason. I asked Falvey if he could be carried on the wild card roster to pull a Kirk Gibson - limp up and take one swing - if needed.

"Can I take that outcome?" Falvey said. "I think that's one where we haven't gotten to that level of conversation around something like that. At this point, we won't rule anything out."

Sano also has seen two specialists, Dr. Martin O'Malley in New York (works with the Nets) and Dr. Robert Anderson in Carolina (works with the Panthers), to make sure they were on the right path. Both of their diagnosis matched up, so the Twins will continue with their recovery plan.

Being available for the wild card round appears to be unlikely, but the Twins are assessing their options if they move on in the post season, and Sano could be one of them.

"We said all along that putting the actual date or timetable is challenging," Falvey said. We'll take it say to day. The fact he took 60 swings today felt good. We'll see how he comes in tomorrow. We're hopeful he can take another set of swings."

Other news

The Twins haven't ruled out taking 11 pitchers to New York next week. Both the Orioles and Blue Jays had 10-man pitching staffs last year for the wild card game. The Twins have to decide on which starters will be in the bullpen, how many lefties and other issues.

A league spokesman told me today that there has been no reasons put forth to cancel the Twins-Indians series scheduled for next April in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The island is recovering from significant damage from Hurricane Marie but, as of know, the series will go on.

Several Twins officials are in town for the potential clinching: President Dave St. Peter, assistant GM Rob Antony, Director of Baseball Operations Daniel Adler and GM Thad Levine.

Owner Jim Pohlad was in town Tuesday but had to return to the Twin Cities today for personal reasons.


Brian Dozier, 2B
Joe Mauer, 1B
Jorge Polanco, SS
Eddie Rosario, LF
Byron Buxton, CF
Max Kelpler, RF
Eduardo Escobar, 3B
Chris Gimenez, C
Robbie Grossman, DH

Adalberto Mejia, RHP


Francisco Lindor, SS
Austin Jackson, LF
Jose Ramirez, 2B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Carlos Santana, 1B
Jay Bruce, RF
Yandy Diaz, 3B
Jason Kipnis, CF
Yan Gomes, C

Danny Salazar, RHP

Older Post

Postgame: Bullpen picks up Colon after he exits with illness

Newer Post

Who's in/out? Taking a look at a possible Twins wild card roster