• Ashley Hasti, 31, married Mainak Sarkar on June 14, 2011. The couple were together for another year and then separated.
• She was a student at the University of Minnesota Medical School and a former tutor at North Hennepin Technical College.
• In a 2013 Facebook post, Hasti wrote "Second year med school is great and all, but I keep having dreams where I'm being diagnosed in the doctor's office with the disease I'm studying."
• Brooklyn Park police discovered Hasti's body at 12:35 a.m. Thursday after her name was found on a "kill list" Sarkar left in his St. Paul apartment. She died of an apparent gunshot wound, according to a Brooklyn Park police official.
• Hasti first enrolled at the University of Minnesota Medical School in 2012. In 2008, she received a bachelor's degree from the U in Asian languages and literature, a U spokesman said.
• She attended a one-year post-baccalaureate pre-med program at Scripps College in California from 2009-2010. That's when she met Sarkar, who was getting his Ph.D. at UCLA. Her Facebook page shows photos of Sarkar in an album, "Last Days in LA" that she posted in May 2011 around the time she was posting several albums. Included in the 129 photos in the LA album is one of the "Engineering IV" building at UCLA where Sarkar's former professor William Klug was killed in his office.
• Public records show that the home where Hasti's body was found is owned by her father, Wayne. A neighbor said Ashley lived there with her father, "but they weren't around very often." Her mother died at the age of 49 in May 2011.
STAR TRIBUNE STAFF