New Digital VP at EVINE
On Jan. 5, Evine Live Inc. (formerly ValueVision Media) announced the appointment of Wade Gerten as the multichannel retailer's new vice president of digital.
Analyst Tom Forte of Brean Capital liked the hire and reiterated his "buy" rating on Evine on Jan. 6.
"We are encouraged by the hire, as it should advance the company's digital efforts," Forte wrote. "He should also advance the company's mobile commerce sales, which are driving a young and more affluent consumer to the category."
upgrade for Mosaic
Last week, BMO Capital Markets analyst Joel Jackson upgraded Plymouth-based Mosaic Co. to "outperform." Jackson gave five reasons for the buy recommendation:
1. Fertilizer stocks are expected to do better in 2015.
2. Mosaic has relatively large incremental growth in earnings and free cash flow potential in 2015.
3. Mosaic has been trading at a discount to main competitor Potash Corp. for about a year.
4. Phosphate prices have rebounded as raw material prices have fallen.
5. Mosaic should benefit from the bankruptcy of U.S. producer Mississippi Phosphates.
Target exits Canada
Wells Fargo & Co. analyst Matt Nemer offered a quick take on Target's Canadian exit.
"Although some investors had been calling for an exit from Canada, we think this announcement is sooner than expected," Nemer wrote Thursday morning. "We view this as a major 'weight off the shoulders' of the company."