Early-childhood open house slated
Robbinsdale Area Schools has extended an invitation to all families with children up to age 5 to an early-childhood education open house from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at New Hope Learning Center, 8301 47th Av. N.
Staff members will be available to talk about learning opportunities.
Drive 4 Excellence golf event is Sept. 16
The Wayzata Public Schools Education Foundation will host its first golf event at the Wayzata Country Club on Monday, Sept. 16.
The event will include a hole-in-one car, other prizes and appetizers.
Sponsorship and golfing opportunities are still available. For more information, contact co-chairs Joan Curtiss at 952-221-0208 or Tom Cullum at 612-306-4955, or visit the foundation’s website at WPSEF.org.
WPSEF’s focus is to help sustain the high quality of education in Wayzata Public Schools. Since 2007, the foundation has awarded nearly $120,000 in grants to district schools.
Back-to-school events coming up
Hopkins Public Schools expects to welcome about 7,200 students in kindergarten through 12th grade when the school year begins. The first day of school for grades 1-12 will be Tuesday, Sept. 3; kindergarten starts Wednesday, Sept. 4.
All Hopkins schools will conduct open houses, orientations and other welcoming events. They include:
Alice Smith Elementary:
• Open house for new families: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 28
• Open house for all families: 5:30 to 7 p.m. Aug. 29
Eisenhower Elementary + XinXing Academy:
• Kindergarten playground night: 6 p.m. Thursday
• Open house: 5 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 29
• Kindergarten playground night: 6 p.m. today
• Open house: 5 to 7 p.m. Aug. 29
Glen Lake Elementary:
• Meet and Greet: 5 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 29
L.H. Tanglen Elementary:
• Kindergarten playground night: 5 to 6 p.m. Thursday
• Open house: 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 29
• Kindergarten playground night: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday
• New parents’ meeting: 4:30 p.m. Aug. 29
• Open house/orientation: 5 to 7 p.m. Aug. 29
Hopkins North Junior High:
• Open house: 4 to 7 p.m. Aug. 29
Hopkins West Junior High:
• Get-your-stuff day: 1:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesday
• Open house: Aug. 28: Ninth grade, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.; eighth grade, 6 to 7 p.m.; seventh grade, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Hopkins High School:
• Sophomore orientation and new students: 8:30 to 11:15 a.m. Monday
• Open house: 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 12
High school students to receive computers
Each of the more than 2,900 students at Eden Prairie High School will receive a MacBook Air laptop computer during the first week of school as the district’s next phase of i-Learn@EP rolls out, the district says.
When students report to their assigned computer labs, they will spend an hour initializing their computer with login information, receiving information about district policies regarding the use and care of the laptops, and signing a usage agreement.
The high school’s teaching staff has been preparing for the rollout with training on how to integrate the use of technology into lessons. The staff has been using MacBook Air laptops since last year.
The district’s fifth- and sixth-graders will also have greater access to technology as laptop carts become part of each classroom’s tool set. The carts will be available in the classroom the first week of school, which is Sept. 3-6.