Travelers will find the biggest traffic hassles in south Minneapolis where Interstate I-35W will close between downtown and the Crosstown Hwy. 62 for the second consecutive weekend and a portion of the Blue Line will be off line Friday night through Monday morning.
Blue Line trains will not run between Target Field and 38th Street stations and Green Line trains will not run between the Target Field and Stadium Village stations from 6:25 p.m. Friday until 3:30 a.m. Monday. Buses will fill in on both segments during the closure.
The light-rail shut down will impact fans heading to the Minnesota United soccer team's 7 p.m. Saturday game at TCF Bank Stadium. Concerts Friday and Saturday night at the Xcel Energy Center could bring extra traffic to downtown St. Paul.
A warning to Brooklyn Park drivers: Paving operations on County Road 81 could spawn significant delays between 63rd Avenue West Broadway with some intersections and ramps being closed for up to an hour at times, the Hennepin County Transportation Department said.
Interstate 94 in Minneapolis and St. Paul
1. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Look for lane closures in both directions between Mounds Boulevard and Century Avenue. Three eastbound lanes should be open by Tuesday, but look for overnight lane closures continuing through Oct. 21. The westbound I-94 ramp to 12th Street is closed through Oct. 20.
2. Cedar and Portland avenues: Closed between 28th and Lake streets for bridge construction. The bridge over I-94 is closed until late November. Detour is via Chicago Avenue.
3. 5th Avenue S.: The ramps to northbound I- 35W and eastbound I-94 are closed. Fifth Avenue is closed between Franklin Avenue and E.19th Street.
4. Franklin Avenue S: The bridge over I-35W is closed until spring 2018.
5. I-35W: Both directions closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday between Crosstown Hwy. 62 and I-94. Ramps will start closing at 9 p.m. Friday.
6. Hwy. 61 in Cottage Grove: The County Road 19/Innovation Road overpass is closed.
7. Hwy. 5 in St. Paul: Both directions at Payne Avenue reduced to two lanes. Payne Avenue is closed between E. 7th Street and Woodward Avenue.
8. Hwy. 149/Smith Avenue in St. Paul: The High Bridge is closed until December 2018.
9. Shepard Road in St. Paul: Closed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday between Randolph Avenue and Eagle Parkway.
10. Hwy. 51/Snelling Avenue in Falcon Heights: Lane restrictions between Energy Park Drive and Hwy. 36.
11. Lexington Avenue in Roseville: The road below the Hwy. 36 overpass is closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday through Sunday.
12. Eastbound 694 in Shoreview: Restricted to two lanes in both directions between Hwy. 10 and Rice Street.
13. Hwy. 10 in Elk River: Intermittent lane closures between Waco Street and Joplin Street.
14. County Road 81 in Brooklyn Park: Significant delays between 63rd Avenue West Broadway with some intersections and ramps being closed for up to an hour at times on Friday and Saturday and Sunday evening.
15. I-35 in Forest Lake: Periodic lane closures in both directions between Hwy 97 and Hwy 8.
16. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S.
17. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed. I-35W northbound reduced to one lane from 90th Street to I-494 until midnight Saturday.
18. Hwy. 55 in Inver Grove Heights: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Argenta Trail.
19. Hwy. 3 in Castle Rock: The highway is closed between W. 275 and 280th streets.