Things may look pretty at this weekend’s Uptown and Powderhorn Park art fairs in Minneapolis, but not so much on the roads. Motorists will need some artful driving to bypass a closure on Hwy. 169 in the west metro and the new lane configuration on I-94 through the Lowry Hill Tunnel.
Open Streets Minneapolis takes over portions of E. Hennepin Avenue, NE. 5th Street and Central Avenue Sunday.
The Twins have games Saturday and Sunday at Target Field, the Loons play at 7 p.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium and the Saints are home Saturday and Sunday evenings at CHS Field. Two shows at the X, Bruno Mars Saturday and Shawn Mendes Sunday, could draw traffic to downtown St. Paul.
Here is where you’ll find significant road work:
Interstate 94 in Minneapolis and St. Paul
1. I-94 from Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center: All vehicles over 9,000 pounds are prohibited from the Lowry Hill Tunnel which is reduced to two lanes in each direction on the westbound side of the tunnel. One lane on the eastbound side of the tunnel is open for traffic coming off eastbound I-394 only. Ramps from east I-94 to south I-35W, north I-35W to west I-94 west, Hwy. 55 to east I-94 and west I-94 to West Broadway are closed.
2. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Eastbound has the left lane set aside for through traffic while the far right lane is for drivers who want to access local streets between Century Avenue and Mounds Boulevard.
3. Cedar and Portland avenues: Closed between 28th and Lake streets.
4. 3rd Avenue S.: Single lane between 1st and 2nd streets.
5. Hwy. 51/Snelling Avenue in Falcon Heights: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36.
6. I-35E in St. Paul: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Shepard Road.
7. Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights: Eastbound lanes closed between I-35E and I-494 is closed until about 6 p.m. Sunday. Westbound lanes will close Monday.
8. Hwy. 95 in Afton: Southbound lanes between 15th and 21st streets.
9. Hwy. 61 in Cottage Grove: The County Road 19/Innovation Road overpass is closed.
10. Eastbound 694 in Shoreview: Restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside/right lane allows access to local streets and drivers must continue south on I-35E. Westbound traffic is down to two lanes.
11. I-35W at Hwy. 10 in Arden Hills: Ramps from west Hwy. 10 to north I-35W and north I-35W to County Road I are closed.
12. Hwy. 169 in Edina and St. Louis Park: Closed between Bren Road and Lincoln Drive/5th Street and single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard. The ramp from west I-394 to south Hwy. 169 is closed.
13. Hwy. 169 in St. Louis Park: Between Hwy. 55 and Hwy. 7, the northbound lanes will be closed 7 p.m. Friday until noon Saturday. Southbound lanes closed from noon Saturday until 5 a.m. Monday.
14. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S.
15. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed.
16. Hwy. 13 in Burnsville and Savage: Lane closures between Hwy. 169 and Washburn Avenue.
17. Hwy. 55 in Inver Grove Heights: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Argenta Trail.